Mitcham & Carshalton have been in existence for over 80 years, originally the Old Mitchamians, then Mitcham RUFC and most recently Mitcham & Carshalton RUFC.
Old Mitchamians were formed in 1934. Reg Brown was the first Captain, holding the post for five seasons, with the first match being played against the Bantams at Raynes Park - losing 52-3.
At the 50th Anniversary Dinner, held at RFU Headquarters Twickenham, J.B. (Barry) Pritchard was a Guest Speaker on behalf of the Old Mitchamians. He mentioned that the Club went into limbo during the Second World War and started up again in 1945 with E.A (Eddie) Golbourne as Captain and playing one match against the School.
The first full season of fixtures came in 1947/48 with Barry himself as Captain - a post he held for the ensuing four seasons. 1953/54 produced the best playing record - losing 1 game out of 27 and scoring 431 points to 54. Before settling onto Figges Marsh and eventually Wandle Valley, the Club has had many grounds.
Mitcham Stadium (now a housing estate), NAFFI (now being developed for Tooting & Mitcham FC), Kings College (now a housing estate) and Mitcham (Mill House changing rooms now a Restaurant).
Notable players included E.J. (Eric) Humphries (Rosslyn Park and T.D. (Tony) Gathercole (Harlequins).
Our most notable player to have come through the Mitcham ranks in reecnt years is George Merrick, formerly of Harlequins and currently of Clermont.